Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Let's Dish with Millions of Peaches!

Sitting here looking back on this past weekend I wonder again how I managed to get my usually introverted husband out of the house to do so much with me! I hope he had a good time, because I had a wonderful weekend and I'd love to share some of it with you.  First, I was invited to a friend's house for a devotional meeting on Friday night (which the hubs didn't attend). Our topic was love.  Here is one of my favorite quotes from The

Hidden Words:
4. O SON OF MAN! 
I loved thy creation, hence I created thee. Wherefore, do thou love Me, that I may name thy name and fill thy soul with the spirit of life. 

http://www.bahai.com/Bahaullah/hiddenwords.htm

The Hidden Words are so incredibly beautiful, but are short enough that you can pick one or a couple of meditate on.

On my way to devotions, I picked up my friend K along the way. I met her at DaySpring this year, and love her crazy quirky spirit.  She is a love. We were early so we decided to hang out on the swings, and I took pictures of her being so silly.  I'm not sure why it it so small, but I managed to capture her in element.


Our first Let's Dish meal
On Saturday morning my hubby and I headed over for a Meetup event at a place called Let's Dish.  At Let's Dish you prepare meals in bags so all you have to do when you get home is cook them. You can take them home and freeze them (for up to three months). I really enjoyed it. While I like to cook, I have problems deciding what to do cook and I tend to fall back on the same things over and over again.  I hoped that this would extend my repitoire a little, and give me some ideas, plus since you prepare everything at their store, there is any waste.  There are 6 servings to an item, so we split them all, so that we could have a dinner and then someone would have a lunch the next day. Once again, no waste!

We had so much fun! The 80's music that was playing made the hubby happy, and the snacks didn't hurt.  Here are Christy and I. I took the apron off before I remembered we were taking pictures. The next day we made our first meal (Balsamic chicken roasted red pepper sandwiches.  They were delicious!

I'd like to put in a shout-out to my friend Juli, and her hubby and adorable ball of chub baby for coming to hang out with us on Saturday afternoon. We had fun, and it will be repeated. I think next time we need to play some board/card games.
Since the weekend wasn't quite over yet, I somehow managed to convince my anti-social husband to go peach picking with me first thing in the morning on Sunday.  First thing in the morning works better if you don't sleep until 10, and not leave the house until 11:30, but we rocked it! We didn't need many, so it didn't take too long, which was fortunate for us because it was pretty darn hot out there. At the barn, I picked up a couple of ears of corn and we hung out drinking our perquisite bottled root beer (I think the hubs got sasparilla).  They have a garden where you can pick flowers as well, but I decided instead of buying some now, that'd I'd wait until my in-laws came into town (22 days and counting!!) and take to pick flowers with which to decorate the house (and most likely feed the cat that won't stop eating anything he's not supposed to!
My dessert the last two nights
I've been going to a lot of Baha'i events since discovering how large the community in this area is, and I've really enjoyed myself!  I decided to give myself a free pass to show up to one event sans food, or drink but after that I have to bring something.  Do you have a standby food/drink to take to events?  Maybe this will be my way to getting rid of all the stuff that I love to bake.  Hmmmm... This Friday, where ever I decide to go is probably getting some sliced peaches.  Yum!!

Sunday Afternoon I stopped in for what was supposed to be a short baby devotion (think community, prayers and fellowship) for a couple pregnant members of the Baha'i community here. It was great to meet some new people, and hang with old.  After oh, about 4 hours (everyone about the 7 of us adults and kids had left) the group decided to move to another friend's house (who happen to be my neighbors) to hang out in their basement theater and watch...The Princess Bride (20th Anniversary Edition). It was HILARIOUS since all the adults had most of it memorized and we kept trying to get the kids to say 'inconceivable!' which came out as 'inspicable' (I have a sneaking suspicion that they've seen Despicable Me and knew that word).  My husband finally got to meet some of my friends and we finished out a long, wonderful weekend with a great movie, Maiwand Kabob (the best!) and some great friends.  Did I mention the hugs on demand? Having little kids around has some serious perks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and promise to read all of them! If you have a problem posting just email me at eileenkward at gmail dot com