Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Slacker...

Slacker--that's me.  I've got laundry that I shoved in the closet instead of putting away, furniture we got for free that I'm not sure where we should put.  I'm sure there is more laundry to wash, and of course there is the kitty warfare.  What is kitty warfare you might ask? It is our oldest cat deciding, when we don't feed him his wet food frequently enough (or the exact type he likes) to gorge himself on the dry food that is out for them, and then vomit.  Not vomit on the lovely hardwood that is easy to clean up, no he saved that for his hairball this morning. I found that by stepping in it.  Nope...he saves his really good staining puke for our white carpets.  I want to strangle him.  I won't, no worries but I will think about it.  Frequently.
Why am I a slacker? Well, obviously I'm a lazy schmuck but this week I have a little extra reason for my slackertude. It is a little 3 month old girl that I'm watching this week while her mom attends a conference down the road.  Yesterday...frankly sucked.  Her schedule was confused and then she would wake herself up whenever she fell asleep and scream and then just randomly fall back asleep.  Eventually she fell asleep and had a good nap.  Let me explain this 'nap' though.  She wanted to be held while she slept.  I get it, I'm warm, have boobs and am generally squishy. The thing is though, that I can't hold a baby for two hours, after not sleeping well without also wanting to take a nap, and in the position I was in, that wasn't happening.  I slowly over the period of an hour, moved her down and flipped her over until she was just laying next to me so that I didn't have to lean my head sideways and shove a towel between my head and neck as a pillow. I didn't realize that I was such a contortionist.
So this week there is laundry to do, a house to clean and chores that should be done but for now I've got a baby to make smile.
Upcoming: I'm going to Baha'i summer school and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. This is for you, even if it's not YOUR baby!

    Babies Don’t Keep
    by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

    Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
    Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
    Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
    Sew on a button and butter the bread.

    Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
    She’s up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

    Oh, I’ve grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
    Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
    Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
    Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

    The shopping’s not done and there’s nothing for stew
    And out in the yard there’s a hullabaloo
    But I’m playing Kanga and this is my Roo
    Look! Aren’t his eyes the most wonderful hue?
    Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

    The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
    But children grow up as I’ve learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
    I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and promise to read all of them! If you have a problem posting just email me at eileenkward at gmail dot com