Sunday, January 16, 2011

What am I eating tonight? Low guilt Alfredo with pasta and left over meatballs...

I say low guilt since this still has something like 4 times as many calories as tomato sauce, but alas, it is yummy.  The first time I made it, it was a little grainy from the parmasan cheese, but I'm not entirely sure I followed the recipe perfectly (i.e. forgot to take it off the heat).  This time it seems to be smoother. The smell is mouthwatering!!


I found the recipe on this awesome blog:

:http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/08/guiltless-alfredo-sauce.html

I will put the recipe with my comments after:
Nutritional Information: around 100 calories per 1/4 cup.

Guiltless Alfredo Sauce
2 C low-fat milk 
1/3 C (3 oz) low fat cream cheese
2 T flour
1 t salt
1 T butter
3 garlic cloves
1 C grated Parmesan cheese


Toss the milk, cream cheese, flour, and salt in a blender.


Process until smooth and set aside.

In a non-stick sauce pan, melt butter on med-high heat and add garlic. Stand above the pan (but not close enough to scald your face) and inhale. Ahhh...butter and garlic. Okay, now get cooking again. Let the garlic saute for about 30 seconds, you don't want to burn it. It should be nice and bubbly like this:


Then add milk mixture to the pan. Stir constantly for about 3 or 4 minutes or until it just comes to a simmer. Keep stirring and let it cook for a few minutes more. It should be much thicker now.


When it's nice and thickened remove the pan from the heat. Add the cheese, stir it up and then cover immediately. Let stand for at least 10 minutes before using. It will continue to thicken upon standing. Also, if you have leftovers in the fridge, the sauce will thicken almost into a solid. Just re-heat and add a little milk and it will be back to normal again.




My comments:
The first time I made this, I didn't use a big enough skillet, so this time I pulled out my super big and deep one.  It was much easier this time, and I think that it will be much smoother as a result.  
I think this recipe is a little salty, and could use some pepper and other spices.  The next time I make this, I won't add the extra salt, and will add pepper and some other spices. 


Does anyone else follow this website? They just came out with a cookbook.  I thought most of their recipes were for sweets and candy, but they did a post on healthy options that they posted and this was one of the featured posts.  I really enjoy it, and hope to make some more of their recipes in the future.  






All photos in this post are owned by the blog
www.ourbestbites.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and promise to read all of them! If you have a problem posting just email me at eileenkward at gmail dot com