Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Asian Chicken Salad with Soy-Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette

I am really proud of my massive cache of produce that we purchased at the store today.  After I posted last night's blog I found a recipe for Asian Chicken Salad and reallllly wanted to make that for dinner tonight, so I changed my menu a bit--see, it's flexible! 
I tried a couple of recipes from this book and didn't like them at all. I was pleasantly surprised to LOVE this one. My husband said it was as good as anything he could find in a restaurant.



Asian Chicken Salad  with Soy-Ginger-Sesame Vinaigrette

Vinaigrette 
3T seasoned rice vinegar
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (half a small clove)
1t finely minced fresh ginger (I just grated a bit over the bowl)
1t soy sauce (I used reduced sodium)
1/8t salt
2t sugar
2t toasted sesame oil
3T canola, soy or peanut oil (I used canola b/c I had it on hand)

Salad
1 pound romaine lettuce (a large head or "hearts")
2 cooked chicken breasts (you can shred, or just cube it)
1 1/2C (4oz) shredded red cabbage
1C (about 3 oz) mung bean sprouts (I used alfalfa sprouts)
2 medium carrots, shredded (truthfully I grated 1 1/2 before I almost grated my knuckle and just cut it up)
2 scallions (white and tender greens part) cut into very thin strips about 1-in long (I used green onions b/c umm...thats all Safeway had)
1/2C loosely packed cilantro leaves
2/3C cashews or silvered almonds (I used almonds and they were sooooo good!)

On top of this I also added some chow main noodles for crunchy goodness. I forgot, but my husband will tomorrow, add manderine orange (Clementine in his case) over the top of the salad.  If you like spicy dressing, add a little Chinese chili oil to the dressing. 
My produce cache! 

salad in the bowl before I dished it out...lots of almonds on top

half of my salad...I was really hungry


1 comment:

  1. hi eileen!
    this looks delicious...i'm definitely going to have to try out this recipe some time! thanks for visiting my blog! it sounds like our cats would get along! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and promise to read all of them! If you have a problem posting just email me at eileenkward at gmail dot com